Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, July 01, 2022

Hunt 29 Ends and Independence Day Begins

Scavenger Hunt 29 ends today.  It was a gorgeous morning so I walked while Gene rode his trike.  Usually I ride the stationary bike but today was cloudy and cool.  About 75º F.  I took the small travel sketchbook and a new Micron 03.  I've been using a Micron 02 but for outdoor quick sketches it is pretty fine and hard to sketch quickly.

Prompts on Scavenger Hunt 29
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-29-june-23-july-1.4134/

were "bigger than a breadbox" and "something with feathers".  I sketched from the far bench that is on a path to the other street.  I don't think I have sketched from there before.  It's possible, I have sketched all the lake many times, right?

 
Number 13, bigger than a breadbox - our house peeking through the trees across the lake.  When Joe made the list he said some of the younger artists may not know what a breadbox was.  I didn't see any comments about that.  

Number 14, something with feathers - a white egret and a small young blue heron.  I couldn't get details from where I was but I didn't want to leave my sketches at 13.  Not really, I am not superstitious.

***  **   ***  ***  **  ***

Home Front, Too


I am starting my celebrations for Independence Day early this year.  I am appalled at the people that think the USA is a bad country and our founding fathers are not worthy of being celebrated.  They seem to think that the Constitution is only for some people and they are trying to do away with it.  Some want the Supreme Court to make the laws.  The Court's job is to interpret the the Constitution and Congress is to make the laws for the people that voted them into office.  Congress can't speak to each other and do their jobs.  We need term limits in the worst way and it won't happen as they don't want to do away with their profitable "jobs".  It wouldn't be so bad if they would just do their jobs.

Our country is definitely the best place to be or we wouldn't have the problem at the Southern Border with everyone trying to come here illegally.  We should be protecting our own border as well as Ukraine's.  People that are unhappy here should go and see how it is to live in some other country - maybe Iran or Pakistan or China.  Fentanol is a poison and also coming in through the southern border.  Human trafficking is also a huge problem.  They should have finished the wall.  The material is rotting in the sun and "we" are paying big bucks for that, too.  It should be used after all it cost.

We should know our history, the good and the bad.  How can we gauge improvement.  Look how far we have come.

OK, no more rant, lets celebrate!!

I am so proud to be an American.  I just don't understand.  President Ronald Reagan said it well in his Independence Day speech of 1986.  Where would we be without our founding fathers?

Regardless of your politics you should be proud, here is the speech:

https://youtu.be/ynIW7CN08sc


I will include President Obama's speech, also a good one.

https://youtu.be/0rKdvSeSldQ

 

 And a feel proud song of Lee Greenwood's, "God Bless the USA",  done with military voices as well:

https://youtu.be/0Japc8M8RQw



4 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Jo love your your sketches and your pastel painting is absolutely breathtaking. The vibrancy of your colors is outstanding. May your 4th of July be wonderful. Hugs!

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, thanks. Our 4th will be great. We celebrate daughter Joanna's birthday on Sunday, fireworks in Bastrop, then maybe fireworks in Smithville on Monday night. Hope you have a great weekend and 4th, too.

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice sketches around the lake.

I love our country, but realize that things could and should be better. The great thing is that we can vote and make our voices known...something that can't be done in some countries. Is the USA perfect? No, but "we the people" can work on that.

Have a great 4th of July weekend. It sounds like you already have some good plans. We went to a bbq with good friends yesterday. I'm planning to hit the pool and work off some of what I ate. Tomorrow I'm working with one of my art groups that hosts an outdoor art festival on the 4th. I'll help out for a few hours in the morning and then relax the rest of the day...and probably catch "A Capitol 4th" on TV. Enjoy!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. You are so right about voting. We agree on so many more things than we disagree on. Sounds like your weekend is full of fun too. Looking forward to your sketches.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)