Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, June 24, 2022

Dusty Mugs Sketch

The mugs are actually clean, I sketched them with the "dusty" soft pastels.  I used a handful of different pastel brands.  Including a couple of my new ones.  I was in my studio about 2 hours.  I had to empty the tray where I put the pastels I am using.  I usually put them back in their places after I finish a sketch or painting.  I had been my lazy self and the tray was overflowing with odds and ends.  I mentioned that when I do that, I tend to keep using the same colors over and over.  Best I put the pastels away before I started a new painting or sketch.

I put the pastels away and wiped off the sanded paper that had the the tree I painted/sketched from my studio window the other day.  No need to keep sketches.  I take photos and have those if I need for reference.  So a fresh start  ... almost.  The paper left ghost images from previous use.  I mottled it up for the background.

Number 2, blue
Number 3, red
Number 4, mug that I hadn't sketched before (the big one with Gene on it) with a challenge to be blue.  It is partly blue.

The big cup was a gift from a friend.  She made one for each of us.  They are too big for using for coffee and they sit on the counter, more like decorations.  The top cup with the star should be taller and my lines on the cups are not even but it is a sketch after all.

For Scavenger Hunt from Life 29

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-29-june-23-july-1.4134/

 

Enid Wood and other members of the Austin Pastel Society are off in Albuquerque for the annual convention of the Internatonal Association of Pastel Societies.  IAPS  If you do pastels and want to have a memorable time, you should plan on going to the convention.  I think I attended 3 or 4 years.  You get to rub elbows with hundreds of the best pastelists around and to learn and have fun.  It is a great experience.  There are always extra classes and a chance to visit Santa Fe and other wonderful New Mexico sights.  There is a trade show where you can stock up on the latest pastels and equipment.  

There are not only experts in pastel but also beginners.  The first time I attended the convention (I think in 1999) I had never really done many pastels.  I bought a set of Daler Rowney pastels and some paper.  Pastels are addictive.  It was a very short time before they became my favorite medium.

http://www.iapspastel.org/convention_welcome.php

5 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Great sketch of the stacked mugs. Nice that you have such a colorful collection. Some of the pastel artist here go into NYC every year for a special pastel gathering. I don't know if it is a convention per se, but they don't like to miss it.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. I could go for more than 30 days and 30 mugs. Ha. The pastel convention is fun. Hard to imagine 600-700 pastelists. First I thought look at all the artists, then I thought look at all the artists! So many is intimidating and inspiring all at the same time.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Jennifer Rose said...

really like the mugs 😀 really interesting textures

Jo Castillo said...

R's Rue, thank you so much.

Jennifer Rose, thanks. I like mugs ... way too much.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)