Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, May 16, 2022

New Hunt #24

A new Scavenger Hunt from Life is up and well on the way.  This runs from May 14 - May 22.  We have a list of 26 items/prompts.  I usually get around 10 - 12 done.  I have done the whole list a couple of times.

It is nice to try new ideas and different sketchbooks or tools.

For Scavenger Hunt from Life 24

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-24-may-14-may-22.3949/#post-67609

For Number 1,  cheese grater and Number 2, pile of books I sketched in the regular Canson sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches.  I used the Sharpie pen.  I need to get to Hobby Lobby and get some new pens.  The finer nibs wear out quickly on rough paper even though I try to use a light touch.

 

For Number 3, as far as the eye can see - you may be able to tel I sketched out on the porch on my iPad with the app, Brushes, and the Apple pencil.  


Pet or pet related was on the list.  No pets here except for stuffed animals.  I went to hang the sheets out and there were several dragon flies on the lines.  They were not in a hurry to leave.  There was also a spider web and maybe they were looking for something in that??  Sort of weird.  Again in the Canson sketchbook about half a page with the Sharpie pen.

Number 4, pet related - sub the dragon flies.  They were black with clear wings with black splotches.  We have had some really colorful ones, but these were it today.


Number 5, clothes hanging - the sheets on the clothes line.  The other half of the page with the dragon flies.  Sketched at the dining table with the Sharpie pen.

I like to hang the sheets to dry if possible.  They smell so good.  Gene's brother, Al, made the clotheslines for us.

***  **  ***  **  *** **  ***  **

Now that the plein air painting has become the "thing" many artists are looking for portability with their tools, paints, easels, etc.  Pastels are probably the heaviest and most bulky to carry around.

I found it interesting that Marz Doerflinger https://www.marzdoerflinger.com/ has taken small to the extreme for oil painting.  He paints in pastel, too.  Nice work.

Talk about a tiny art kit:

https://www.outdoorpainter.com/mini-pochade-painting-outdoors/



6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I just use basic ball point pens on rough paper, saves a lot of pens

Joan Tavolott said...

Good sketches! I like your dragonflies that hung around so you could sketch them.

You know I had to check Marz's blog to find out what he was doing...but how do you keep the oil paint from touching the cover of the CD case while you are biking back? I know most carriers for oil painting have grooves in the box to keep the paint from touching anything. It's great that he can do it.

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thanks for the suggestion. That is probably why I use the Pilot ball point once in a while.

Joan, thank you. There are so many dragonflies right now. Amazing colors. I wonder about the paintings, too. The photos aren't very clear on the separation of case and painting.

bag blog said...

Using a CD case is interesting, but so very tiny. Maybe she needs a bigger basket on her bike or a backpack. Ha!

Grate books! I really like the Precise pens from WalMart, but I don't sketch as much as you. I have a couple of Sharpie pens that seem to have been discontinued. I love the way they feel - kind of scratchy on the paper.
You may have missed one of my posts or maybe I missed a comment. I posted a picture of Jethro's birthday.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I still use my clothesline. Not only do they smell great, but it's oddly relaxing to hang them out. What a great picture.

Jo Castillo said...

Elizabeth, sorry I didn't see your comment. I'm supposed to get an e-mail. Anyway, thanks. I like hanging them but not bringing them in. Ha. Smell great!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)