Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, January 16, 2022

More Quick Sketches

Today started off cold, 34 degrees, and is already up to 60.  Beautiful and sunny.  A mobile painting studio kind of day.  I doubt I will go out, but could.  I did sketch at the dining table with some watercolor.  

Yesterday I pulled out one of my favorite glasses, red, for playing in pastels.  Sketched for about 15 minutes wishing I had put in the background first so the glass could be more believable.

Number 2, something you find on a walk
Number 3, red

This is the same paper I used for the last pastel sketch.  It may have one more sketch in it before being tossed.

An artist friend, Joe, wanted to know why I wipe off the pastels and don't save the sketches.  When they are unfinished like this one I have the photo so don't feel the need to save.  I have a few sketches that I liked and have them between the smooth pages of a magazine so they don't smear and get all over everything.  Most are just practice and not up to snuff for framing or saving.  These are wiped off or tossed when the paper tooth gets filled.  The MiTeintes paper is inexpensive and comes in many colors for playing.  The paper is good enough for saving if I want to do that.

Today I sketched in a watercolor sketchbook.  I added a bit of marker for the eyes and nose.  This is my uni-llama as opposed to a unicorn.  It is pink and glittery.  I used a bit of white gouache for the glitter.

Number 4, pink - uni-llama.

And a photo on my tripod with the pine cones and lace.

I need lots of practice with watercolor.  You always need dark to show light.  Mixing is different than with oil paints.  I get more muddy colors.  It was fun to try.  There is a huge difference in the colors depending on brands, too.  So you definitely have to practice and try different paints.


9 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

no point keep the image if its just a sketch and for practice, allows you to ue the paper again

R's Rue said...

Lovely my friend.

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, exactly!! Thanks for coming around. Hope all is well across the pond.

R's Rue, thank you so much. Good day here.

Joan Tavolott said...

I think it is a good idea to reuse the paper. I end up with so many, many sketches that I'll never do anything with. These are all fun...especially the uni-llama.

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you, Joan. So right and I do have a record/photos of the sketches. The uni-llama is watercolor and in a sketchbook so is there to stay.

Bag Blog said...

I'm with Joan. I have way too many sketches that don't really need to be saved, but I tend to save them anyway. I need to use and reuse and throw away. Nice uni-lama.

Jo Castillo said...

Yes, sketches and paintings pile up. My friend Sue is reworking some of her watercolors and sketches we did in New Mexico years ago. She put some acrylic on top of watercolor and ended up with a beautiful painting. I'll ask if I can post it here. You will recognize the area by Taos. The little unillama is so cute. Gene is good about finding unusual animals.

Debbie Nolan said...

I like your idea of reusing the paper Jo...I gesso over my watercolor practices or bad paintings. It gives a different surface for watercolors but I enjoy using it. Your pink Llama is adorable. Hope you have a blessed week.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Debbie. I love llamas after living in South America. I always reuse if I can.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (973) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1794) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)