Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, December 15, 2014

World Blog Hop for Artists

I was invited to join an Around the World Blog Hop (Google "World Blog Hop Artists and be amazed!) by fellow artist Mary Lemmenes  http://creativeeverydaylife.blogspot.com/  , whose work and blog I always enjoy and admire. Please Mary's blog to see for yourselves and for her Blog Hop entry from December 8 http://goo.gl/NmNq2L.

It wasn't hard to say yes, I love to talk as much as I love to paint!  Mary lives in Jacksonville,  Florida.   We have been blogging buddies for a few years now.  She called me to talk about this and it was great fun to "meet" her by voice. 

Mary paints beautiful landscapes in acrylics and also paints on silk.  She also sketches which is no surprise for a painter.  Her blog is full of interesting painting and traveling stories.  She is generous with her ideas and "how tos".


 Beach scene, Mary Lemmenes, copyright

 Marsh scene, Mary Lemmenes, copyright
 Silk scarf, Mary Lemmenes, copyright


In turn,
I am passing the torch to Joan Tavolott, http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/ , to post on  Monday, December 22. When you visit her blog, look at the sidebar and you will see how many blogs she works on, including Paint, Paper, Pencils and Pens! and Angelina's Life in Venice, an imaginary trip to Venice with some of her real sketches from there.

Joan is a very prolific sketcher and wonderful watercolor artist.  We became friends through wetcanvas.com and the Scavenger Hunts.  She sketches out and about almost every day.  I am amazed at her dedication and energy.  Please visit her blog next Monday, December 22. 


 Coffee Shop, Joan Tavolott, copyright

 Beach scene which are Joan's favorites, copyright Joan Tavolott


 Santa, Joan Tavolott copyright

I am anxious to see where the World Blog Hop goes from there.  All the past blog hop entries I have visited are fascinating as a variety of artists each answer four questions about their work and creative process.

For the World Blog Hop, I was asked to tell about myself and answer the questions then pass this on to another artist or two.  Be sure and look at Mary's post and go backwards to discover many new artists then after December 22 on to Joan's post and the new artist/s from there.

So here goes, for you new visitors I paint mostly in pastels.  I like to play in the dust and get my fingers dirty.  I paint in any medium and sketch mostly in pen and ink.  Sketching is my homework and I sometimes sketch on my iPad, iPhone and iMac to relieve the monotony. 

I am an ancient, retired painter.  My husband, Gene, and I live in Bastrop, Texas.  It is a beautiful small town in the Loblolly piney woods east of Austin, Texas.  Bastrop has a great winter climate, but is downright hot in the summer.  We escape to cooler environs which has been the New Mexico mountains for the last few years.

We lived in South America for about 16 years with Gene's work.  We grew up in New Mexico and I love the high desert.  Bolivia was my favorite country in South America as the altiplano is similar to New Mexico but 5,000 feet plus, higher.
1. What am I working on? 
I have been in a real art draught.  I have been trying all the ploys for coming out of it.  I have tried:

  • No art, ignoring it
  • Perusing other artist's work
  • Different Media
  • Classes
  • Travel
  • Just painting
  • ....and so much more
I have a show scheduled at Art Connections in February, so I need to get with it.

I've been working on these, but neither is finished and so .......

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I tend to be a colorist.  You won't find gloomy or washed out paintings in my world.

3. Why do I create what I do?
A hard question.  I am not "driven" or "called" to paint as some of my friends.  If I don't paint for a while I don't give up or go into withdrawals.  I enjoy painting and drawing and seeing the smiles on people's faces when they look at my work.  I like teaching, but that involves schedules and we are retired, so I teach only occasionally.

4. How does my creating process work?
I paint and draw quickly.  That is why I choose sketching with pen and ink and working mostly with pastels for painting.  I put down a stroke and it is there.  I get bored easily with an idea.  When working on a painting for several days, I lose the enthusiasm that I started with.  I could never do a large colored pencil for example, too many hours of coloring.

I like working/painting plein air.  I get more feeling and energy into a painting done on site. I like painting from life more than photos.   For sketching, I employ a comfortable chair with my feet on a stool.

I work with the best equipment I can afford and that helps me to be successful in my attempts.  Using poor grade pastels, pencils, paper and canvas only serves to make any artist work harder.  Being comfortable is very important in creating.  Music can help set the mood.


I am not afraid to wipe off a piece and start over.  Each piece I start is now my favorite painting.  I do feel that practice makes each piece easier to do.

OK, off you go to investigate other artists on the World Blog Hop.  Come back again ..... 





 


11 comments:

Bag Blog said...

You did good, girl! I didn't know you liked music when you paint. What kind of music do you like best. I like oldies. Painting at Christmas is the best - when I can put on the Christmas music. I find it very soothing - sets a nice atmosphere.

I'm off to check out some of the other artists.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I like my Bolivian or the Navajo flutes. I usually put on iTunes on random from all my tunes so listen to,a mix from classical to jazz to country and more. Gene has his Christmas music mixed in too, year round. I don't usually listen when I paint outside so that is why you didn't notice. I like the quiet of the outdoors. Thanks.

Jennifer Rose said...

ooh more blogs to read :D (been looking for more creative interesting blogs lately)

great answers to the questions :)

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Jennifer Rose. There are more good links on the sidebar. :)

Jennifer Rose said...

Going to have to go threw them all. will give me something to do in the break from uni :)

Mary said...

Jo, this is a super blog hop post! Your writing style is charming and no-nonsense, and what you have to say is creative and interesting. Very "you"--which is excellent.

And thank you so very much for your generosity in writing about the artists before and after you and including photos of our work. You are the best!

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, thank you for thinking of me. I usually don't do this type of "chain" but I am pleased that I did. I hope folks follow the chain. It is a pleasure getting to "know" you.

Jennifer, have fun looking around.

Joanna said...

This is a fun thing y'all are doing. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, yes it was fun. A busy time right now, I hope to investigate the chain more after Christmas!!

Mary Paquet said...

Jo, love your blog. Finally things settled down here and have time to follow the chain.

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, thank you so much. I need to get back to the chain, too. After First Friday! It will be fun to meet the new artists.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)