Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Snyder's Draw, Southwest Landscape Pastels

My work is guaranteed!  Have I mentioned that?  I know I have.  After the big Bastrop Fire in 2011,  I said I would replace any of the paintings people had purchased or received as gifts.  I FINALLY finished a painting for Jeff and Sharon.  They had purchased a little painting that I donated to the Bastrop Association for the Arts way back in 1998.  It was one of my first shows in Bastrop.  That was good of them to buy and help BAFA.  I don't have a photo of the old painting.  It was a desert scene painted in oils.

I started this painting at a class with Enid Wood here.  As I finished it, I thought it would be a good replacement for Jeff and Sharon.  I delivered it yesterday.  They were happy to receive their painting at last!  It is framed in a 2 inch, dark reddish wooden frame with a black touch around the opening of the frame near the painting.  The scene is from a photo and my memories.

Snyder's Draw
Pastel on Colourfix sanded paper
12 x 9 inches

Of course, they had to give us something in return.  Jeff works with iron, rocks and photographs.  We bought a star made of horseshoes a few years ago.  It survived the fire without too much damage.  We decided to keep it as is rather than have him repair it.  Anyway, he gave us a star made from railroad spikes.  Pretty cool.  We will get it hung when we get back in the fall.

 The new star, is about 16 inches tall.


The star that went through the fire is about 36 inches tall.  They are fun to have, thanks, Jeff.



6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I think it is so gracious that you have replaced the destroyed paintings for people. This one is lovely so I am sure they will love it!!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. It is the least I can do. We have had the same come back to us. Always a good feeling. :)

Bag Blog said...

I like the Snyder's Draw painting. It seems so simple, yet has good detail and depth. Very nice.

I have a neighbor who is a blacksmith. He has given me a few things over the years. He does lots of demos and such. It is always fun to see him work.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Bag Blog. Thank you. It must be hard work hefting all that iron around. Jeff made a huge locomotive sculpture. I can't imagine.

Joanna said...

I really like the painting. And, the new star is pretty cool!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you!! We will have to find a good spot for the star. I'm thinking on it.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)