Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, April 07, 2014

Lack of Education But Learning (Cactus Bloom Photo)

If you are a long time reader of my blog, you know that I did not have formal art education.  I am also not a big history buff.  Living in small town Magdalena in New Mexico we had no art in school after about 5th grade.  My aunt was an artist in Albuquerque and the ranch where my Mom grew up.  Mom was a doodler with cows and horses and things she knew.  I had no reason to become an artist.

My point is that I have slowly learned a bit about art and art history.  You are never to old to learn.  Among the many artist friends that have helped me along in my art history education are two you have heard about on my blog before. They both are so interesting and well educated. 

*  The first is sculptor, painter Kelly Borsheim.  I met Kelly here in Bastrop way back in about 1999 or so.  She is super good at her profession in all media, but sculptor extraordinaire.  She is prolific in her studies and shares in person and in writing.  You can get an art education in a few hours by reading her newsletters.  They include travel info, photos and so much more.  She is in Italy now and shares so much with us.  Here is a link to her current newsletter.
http://www.borsheimarts.com/news/2014_04-Madrid-Prado-Thyssen-BellasArtesSanFernando-Museums.htm

From there you can read back issues, subscribe to newsletters and blogs really improve your knowledge.  Be prepared to be there a while. You can see her work in San Antonio this month at the

Greenhouse Fine Art  Salon 2014
2222 Breezewood Blvd. (note: "new location")
San Antonio, TX 78209 

http://www.greenhousegallery.com/cgi-bin/exhibits.pl?exhibitid=si2014&title=Salon%20International%202014

Sculptors Dominion
Villa del Carmen Conservatory Gallery and Sculpture Garden
11354 Vance Jackson St.
San Antonio, Texas USA
http://www.sculptorsdominion.com

*  The other is Katherine Tyrrell, my art encyclopedia.  She is in England.  I first started following her blog back in 2006 when I started off in the blogosphere.  She is a sketcher, pastelist, colored pencil artist and more.  She writes about art on the internet, history, technique, and sooooo much more.  She has thousands of followers and we rely on her for info on technique, equipment, contests, and help.  Again be prepared to spend some time getting to know Katherine.

You can start here on her blog and follow her links to amazing information.

Making a Mark
http://makingamark.blogspot.com/
Have fun on this journey, I don't expect to see you back here for a while.  You will be fascinated and occupied elsewhere.  Ha.

I will be posting about upcoming events and show some new paintings soon.  Have fun, see you soon, I hope!

Our Christmas Cactus has one bloom and one bud.  I put it in a larger pot and I guess that is why it didn't bloom at all for Christmas.   Read the story about it here:
http://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/saga-of-my-moms-christmas-cactus-photos.html



6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I'm glad you still have a piece of your mom's cactus. After all these years, it must be confused as to when to bloom.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, it is nice to have something of my mom's. It bloomed well last Christmas. Sometimes it seems to just be hibernating. It has happened before in the other house and I think it happened to the original at my mom's house, too. Watering? Humidity? Attention grabbing? Thanks for writing.

judi said...

Jo,
I am not much on making comments but feel I must today. You are such a kind and generous artist to share and encourage others as you do with your blog. But in this blog you really stepped out to put a spotlight on these other artists. I knew about Kelly. Honestly, I never thought of her the way you expressed it here. You are spot on about her! I will check out the other person you recommended too. You are a terrific artist and a terrific person.
Thank you,
Judi Vreeland

Jo Castillo said...

Judi, thank you so much for commenting and your kind words. I just love talking and sharing, probably more than painting! I would love to teach more but do not want to be on a schedule, so there goes that idea. My blog seems to be a good place to spread the word. :) Nice to see you!

Joanna said...

Glad I'm catching up on your blog and found the photos of the Christmas cactus. So pretty. Hugs...

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thanks. The cactus blooms are beautiful. Sadly the second one did not bloom, it fell off. Strange.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)