Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Hunting and Art Competition Notes

I managed another sketch for Scavenger Hunt 321.  I sketched on the porch with my feet up and some coffee.  My favorite place to sketch.  I sketched with my iPad, Brushes and my fingers.  I sketched as quickly as I could and with as few "undo" actions as possible.  I don't undo unless I make a mark all across the sketch or something weird.  Otherwise you are stuck with what you get, something like my sketching with a pen and ink.

The numbers are wrong as I wasn't thinking that I had already done 2 sketches.  Here are the items.
Number 3, Red - the glasses and curtains
Number 4, Blue - the glasses
Number 5, Door - looking in the sliding door from the porch
Number 6, Brown - the hutch
Number 7, Glass - the door and window and glass plate in the hutch


And for my art link of the day:

I was sending out a notice for the Austin Pastel Society from the Arkansas Pastel Society.  The Arkansas Society has their prospectus and entry online at

http://www.onlinejuriedshows.com/Default.aspx?OJSID=168

Pretty clever idea and there are many competitions listed there.  You might find some show you would like to enter.  I will certainly bookmark this page!

http://www.onlinejuriedshows.com/

Question:

I have tried posting without comment moderation or word verification.  It seems many spammers get through and I imagine you see these posts in the comments and might click on some weird link.  For the moment I am using comment moderation, but that means the posts may not be up until late at night.

How do you feel about comment moderation?  To me it takes away from the spontaneity of the whole blog thing.  People surely don't comment as much as they used to.  I guess part of that is that "we" are being encouraged to go to facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., for our 5 seconds of fame.

I am always so disgusted with facebook and how they change my privacy and force unwanted posts on my page.  My Twitter is automatic from facebook.  I tend to like Google+ the best, however Google is wanting me to link my blog to that so that all my info is posted at once.  Not sure I care for that.

I was using facebook more to communicate with family than for my art, but it seems to be less family oriented all the time with the ads and unsolicited posts.  I plan to really cut down on that forum again.

So I continue to work on my blog, which is my preference.  I can post what I want with no interference from anyone   ....    at least for the moment!

6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I've been so lax in getting to blogs lately. I enjoyed going through your last few entries and seeing your great photos of the places you've been.

You are right about a blog being a better place to post and express ourselves. I've gotten to the point where I just skim through Facebook. There is just too much junk and I really don't need to see everything that anyone I know had commented on. I've tried changing settings and then end up with more strange stuff. I don't mind blog moderating if it keeps out the unusual posts that you don't want, As my eyes are going that word verfication was getting harder, but with the new mac I can enlarge the works and finally see what they say. lol

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you for stopping by and your comments. There are still a few of us bloggers around. I love looking at your paintings and sketches and see where you have been, too. One day, we will sketch together!

Barbara Pask said...

I can just imagine you with your feet up sketching, sounds great. You are brave sketching with an ipad, I am so lo-tech, lol I miss seeing you around Susans, wish she would paint for us again.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Barbara. I miss Susan, too. She is just too busy. Hope to go to San Antonio soon and see her in person.

Joanna said...

Love the sketch and how many items you managed to squeeze in. :-)

Stick with the blog. It's your thing. It's a lot better than FB any day.

And, yeah...moderating comments is no fun but comment spam is worse. Dunno what to suggest on that front.

Hugs...

Jo Castillo said...

Hi there, Joanna! Appreciate the feedback. Adding stuff in the sketch was fun. Jeanne in the Scavenger Hunts sometimes tries to get all 26 items in one still life. Pretty nifty.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)