Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Scavenger Hunting for My Sketches

I really like to paint with others and share, so I am never sure if I like painting or talking more.  I guess that is why having a blog is easier than any journal I ever tried to keep.  I started this blog and the Scavenger Hunts to make me sketch more.  If you are a regular reader, you know that I sketch as "homework" for my paintings.

The Scavenger Hunts have been the best therapy and boost to keep me going .. even when I lose my muse for a while.  Here are the rules for the Hunts:

* All items on the list must be sketched from life--not imagination nor photo references
* Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
* You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
* All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
* Do as many or as few items as you like; you don't have to finish the entire list to participate! This Hunt will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
* Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and set ups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

And the current list with Ai as the host:

Scavenger Hunt#315 -- May 24-June1
animal
appliance
bed
box
car/motorcycle/bike/bus/truck -- Challenge -- do all of these
circle
desk
scene
architecture
nature
boot
oven/stove
postponed thing you want to do
expired thing you still keep
make you feel better
made of wood
made of glass
made of fabric
made of earth
made of paper
ear
eye
nose
mouth
hand
delicate  

You can see where the name came from and how interesting it is to search for the items to sketch.  The lists vary and because we sketchers are from around the world we get a peek into other cultures and scenery.  Each artist adds their personality to the lists.  Hunting and sketching this way is very much fun.  I am surprised at myself for saying that about homework.

I am a lazy sketcher, so I prop up my feet and sketch what is around me.    Some of the artists search far and wide.  Joan (http://www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/) travels and sketches plein air all over her area and the places she visits.  Ai (http://aiarts.blogspot.com/)is in Thailand and joins in sketching groups, Scatty (http://gardenartjournal.blogspot.com/) in France, Jeanne (http://jeannegrant.blogspot.com/)in California, etc.  Not every sketcher has a blog so you need to check the Hunts.

The Hunts make for a pleasant journey and making friends around the world.  Come along on our ventures..... you can start on this Hunt.  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318306&page=3  I will host Hunt #317, June 9 - 17.  See you there!

For this week here are my sketches from my iPad with the Brushes app and from my regular sketchbook with a pen.

Number 3, made of earth - a sculpture from Bolivia.  It is made of dirt and never fired ... well before September, 2011.  It is fired now and seems much more sturdy.  It is about 8 inches tall.


 Number 4, desk - Gene's laptop desk.


Number 5, made of glass - a bottle


Number 6, made of wood - the arm and a bit of the glider

Number 7, circle - several circles; the hummingbird feeder, tops of cups and vases.

We are packing today and tomorrow for our trek to New Mexico for the International Association of Pastel Societies Convention.
http://www.pastelinternational.com/CONVENTIONS/conventions.html 

Should be fun with Regina (fallshadows.com)joining us for the convention.  We will stay in Albuquerque about a month unless something comes up.  I'm pretty sure we will go to Arizona during that time.  After that back here for a quick stop for doctor check ups, etc.  Then to Kentucky for the big wedding of our favorite granddaughter.  From there to Michigan and Canada.  I'm sure I will be posting along the way.

More later!

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Such a busy summer coming up!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Joanna. Lots of traveling, that is for sure. I think it will be good, see if we hold up! Ha!

Joan Tavolott said...

My you are really planning some travels this year Jo. I hope you do get to sketch along the way.

I like how you did an intro to the hunts in case anyone is interested. I still think that is one of the best ways to improve sketching...and connect with others in so many places. Have a safe trip!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks for stopping by. Made me smile that you said we would be traveling so much, as you do, too. The Scavenger Hunts keep me sketching, I do my "homework" even when I don't feel like art. Sometimes they are so sketchy you can tell. Ha! I get so much from the group and friendships.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)