Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, January 21, 2013

Why Sketch?

Sketching equipment or toys??


I have written about sketching a few times since I have become more proficient at it.  It is very good for me ... and probably for you!

First of all, some of the new art teachers and videos say you don't have to draw to paint.  This is true, but you will have a much more successful result if you can draw your subject.  And, no, I don't draw out a painting before I start.  I make a general sketch of the main shapes, eye level and composition. I try to put in value shapes.  Very simple.  Then I add the details with a brush or pastels.

Drawing helps me to add in the shadows, shape and details that make a ball round or the mountains be pushed back in the painting.  Even for abstract you need to have the skill to place your lines where you want them and know about values in adding depth to your work.

Drawing/sketching teaches you about perspective too.  You learn that something six feet tall looks bigger when it is closer to you and smaller when it is far away.

Sketching is like homework for me as I have said many times.  It gives me confidence in placing my lines.  I am much more accurate now than I was even a year ago.  I don't erase for the Scavenger Hunts and sketch in ink.  I think this makes me plan ahead a bit ... not always of course.   This is certainly not a way for everyone to sketch.  Sometimes I use pastels or paint and my iMac,tttttttttrr iPhone or iPad.

My style doesn't change, but I sketch quicker and easier without making so many changes.  Perspective in my paintings has improved and I know it is the drawing which makes me think about it a bit more.

Sketching on the Scavenger Hunts keeps me practicing regularly. It also makes me sketch unusual everyday objects from life.  I am lazy and if left on my own, I will sketch landscapes.  The Hunts have me sketching pipes, laundry, windows, heaters, cars, dirty dishes, etc., things I would not think of sketching.  

Like any skill, you have to use it or lose it.  This past year I have really slacked off in painting, but I have tried to sketch several times a week.  That is a slack off from daily sketching and I can feel it when I start after several days off.

Painting is the same way.  I feel like I am learning all over again.

So ... for the immediate future, I hope to do some art thing every day.  Sketch or paint.  Wish me luck!  And, I haven't painted or sketched yet today.  Ouch.

I sketched Friday for Scavenger Hunt in the brown paper sketchbook (which is almost finished) with a Micron 01 pen.

 
Number 1, hand - mine.  And number 2, tree.  I sketched the hand on that side as I had it on the sketchbook where the tree is.  Then I sketched the tree, so a bit backwards.

Number 3, outdoor scene - the house across our little lake and the ducks on the water. I used the Pentel markers for sketching.   This was yesterday, Joanna was taking photos of the birds and I sat and sketched.  There were about 21 white egrets, one blue/gray one and many more dark ducks.  We had seen the osprey earlier, but they were off someplace else.  I didn't want to figure out how to put in the white egrets, I told you I am lazy!


And a couple of photos.  The fist was egrets early Friday morning.  Nice lighting with the water so still.  The second is yesterday with a few of the egrets, ducks and the house.

5 comments:

Rose Welty said...

I've been sketching lately too Jo. You are an inspiration. Also, it's really fun - I had gotten away from it and had forgotten. In fact, I need to go do some now. :-)

Bag Blog said...

I keep thinking that I'm gonna sketch more. You keep encouraging me. I've heard some artists say that you don't have to draw to paint, but I agree with you, it sure helps.

Jo Castillo said...

Rose, thank you. Glad you are feeling better and browsing around.

Bag Blog, sketching is homework! Not easy for me. Michigan Sue started encouraging me in the early nineties and I finally really started in 2006. So for me, not an easy habit to come by. Ha.

Joanna said...

I like the sketch you did while I was visiting. I can't believe I didn't look at it when we were out there. I meant to and then got caught up in running away from the lawn mower man! :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, I know. When I was showing it to your dad later I remembered I hadn't shown you. Thanks for the visit...here and there. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)