Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Hunting Wood and Pipes, Photos


As mentioned, I am hosting Scavenger Hunt 297.  Come on over and sketch with us.  No pressure, post or not, visit or not, just have fun.

 Number 3, wooden - a wine glass puzzle that Cole gave me.  Thanks!

Number 4, faucet and  Number 5 pipes under the sink.

These sketches were done with the new Pentel markers and a touch of colored pencil for the white.  It is always good for me to use different media.  When I use some different tool it makes me think about what I am doing and why.  Sometimes when I rely on just painting and not thinking, I fall into old bad habits.  On rare occasions I hope to get in the zone and not think about what I am doing and that can be super, but for painting, not for practice.  As mentioned many times, though, I am a lazy person and if I don’t pay attention, I tend to fall into old patterns of not looking at perspective or values, etc.  New tools make me think and practice efficiently.

We have had a visitor lately at the lakes.  We were thinking hawk, but he seems larger.  Today I got a fair photo or two with my point and shoot and he appears to be an osprey.  The lakes are low and probably the fishing for the birds is good.  There have been white egrets and a darker  bird similar to an egret, we haven’t been able to identify for sure.  Remember you can click on the photos to enlarge them, except when I post from the iPad.  Hmmm.

The osprey atop a dead tree with the telephoto.


A cropped version.  That is as close as I can get with my little camera.

The lake cropped, looks like some crows and the egret looking bird to the right.



Here is link to a video of an osprey fishing by arkive.org. It catches several fish at once and a huge one that it can barely lift.  Thanks, Jeff.   Amazing!




4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Your osprey is very handsome. I know nothing about birds and would have just said it was a hawk of some sort.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag blog, we kept thinking hawk as well. Just seemed so big. He does fish a lot!

Joanna said...

Very cool. I really need to work on getting a photo of him before he moves on! And, that video is awesome!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi there, Joanna. You do need a photo op with the osprey. See ya...


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1796) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)